Once bedbugs have infested your house, it is very difficult to get rid of them. Instead of being concerned with how to eliminate them, or free your house from bed bugs, the first concern should be how to stop bedbugs from biting you.
Bed bug bite characteristics are as follows
- Small, hard, swollen red or white welts.
- A rash
- Itching – this may last for several days.
The following things not only reduce the chances of getting bitten but also minimize the spread of bed bugs to other parts of your house.
- Thoroughly de-clutter and clean all areas (bedding, couches, etc.) where you have been bitten by bed bugs.
- When you become aware of a bed bug infestation, it is time to throw away all your clutter. Do not forget to throw things out in sealed plastic bags: bed bugs are very fast at moving from one place to another.
- Wash all bedding and clothes in the hottest water possible (at least 120 degrees Fahrenheit). Temperatures in excess of 114 Fahrenheit have been proved to be fatal for bed bugs. Use a hot tumble drier. For drying purposes, make use of direct sunlight if possible. Nothing is better than air drying in sunlight for clothes, mattresses and other bedding.
- Always put clean and light colored sheets on bed. Light colors make bed bugs easy to detect.
- When removing sheets always roll them off instead of pulling them off. This causes removal of any eggs and bugs attached to them. Use a plastic bag to collect all the eggs and bugs from the sheet and dispose of them in an outside trash can.
- You can purchase an easy to use monitoring system that is Eco friendly: ClimbUp Insect Interceptor. It forms a barrier between bed and floor. Its design makes it very effective to stop bed bugs from biting. Bed bugs that try to climb up your bed to bite you climb to the exterior surface of the ClimbUp Insect Interceptor, and fall into the outer pitfall ring. Any thet come from the bed end up in the center well.
ClimbUp Insect Interceptor
- Facts about ClimbUp are
- It is an insect trapping device.
- The center wall is 41/4” in diameter.
- The paper tape draped on the Interceptor provides a fibrous surface. This fibrous surface makes bed bugs climb up the exterior surface. You can replace this tape with paper tape available in your local pharmacy.
- Place a spacer or risers under legs of the bed to elevate the legs. You can also use a wooden block or plastic pieces. The bed can be elevated like so when the size of bed bugs is too large to fit in the climbUp Interceptor.
Bed bugs trapped in Interceptor
- Prevent the ClimbUp from cracking on padded carpet. You can easily do this by distributing the weight of the bed equally.
- Apply Vaseline on frame of the bed to avoid bed bugs scaling it to bite you.
- Place the legs of bed into a vessel filled with soapy water so that when bed bugs climb up it, they fall into the soapy water and drown.
The legs of a bed in a vessel filled with soap water
Placing boric powder
- Make use of talcum powder as lubricant for the ClimbUp surface.
Protecting a sofa from bed bugs with the help of ClimbUp
- To permanently prevent bed bugs, treatment by an exterminator is necessary.
- These exterminators make use of a combination of insecticides and heat methods.
- Discard heavily infested furniture.
- Visit pest control companies and follow their instructions as well as that of any professional exterminator visiting your house.
- Avoid placing traveling bags and other luggage against furniture.
- Some herbs like lavender, rosemary, eucalyptus and thyme effectively repel bed bugs. You can spread them around your bed and other areas.
- One very good repellent is black walnut. It is easily available at local by food stores.
- Avoid setting bags on beds, floors and against walls.
- Checking your vehicles before sitting to detect any bed bugs.
- Be observant and do not freak out.
- How to stop bedbugs from biting you. Follow this remedy
Soak highly causatic, dry soap in isopropyl alcohol overnight. In the morning, boil the resulting solution in water. Sprinkle this solution on the mattress, carpet and other furniture. Let it dry for eight hours, and vacuum it. Repeat this after a week. This method should kill any existing bed bugs.
Some early bed bug remedies are
Make use of cheapest and most effective insurance policy: safety measures on how to stop bedbugs from biting you.