It is very important to know “how to stop bed bug itching” to prevent further secondary infection. During bed bug infestation your skin can be at maximum risk. Small bumps caused by bed bug bites are very itchy. The saliva injected by these bugs causes allergic reactions in most people. These bed bug bites often call for cosmetic cover-ups. The bed bug problem is on the rise these days in endemic areas. We need some handy tips and cures to be bed bug bite savvy.
We should be aware of
- The Symptoms of bed bug bites- itchy bumps initially and later many more. Check carefully to make sure that these symptoms are the result of bed bug bites, and not something else.
- Detecting bed bugs.
- What do bed bugs look like?
- The Treatment of bed bug bites.
- How to get rid of bed bugs. The most important thing to know, as the symptoms will keep erupting, despite treatment, if we keep bed bugs as our family members.
How to stop bed bug bites itching?
- Wash the bites with antiseptic soap and water.
- Direct application of lime juice is very helpful in reducing itching bumps.
- To soothe the itching and swelling, dab them with rubbing alcohol, also known as isopropyl alcohol. Do not use rubbing alcohol around your eyes, nostrils or lips. Rubbing alcohol is very effective to reduce itching.
- Before taking a bath add 1 to 2 cups of finely ground oatmeal. This is very effective in providing relief to itching.
- Keep your skin moist to prevent the adverse effects of itching.
- Apply hydrocortisone cream, calamine lotion or Aloe vera.
- The use of an antihistamine is also very effective in reducing itching. Benadryl is one antihistamine which can be applied to reduce bed bug bite itching.
- Resist the temptation to scratch, so as to prevent secondary infections.
- Baby powder provides a very soothing effect. It wicks away moisture from your skin.
- Make a topical paste of baking soda and water and apply it on your skin to get rid of itching.
- Apply ice on the bitten area to get rid of itching.
- The application of diluted ammonia also relieves itching and irritation. Preferably, use household ammonia.
- You can also make a soothing paste of honey and cinnamon powder. This is an instant cure for itching.
- How can we forget our trusted Neem? You can either infuse the Neem leaves in your bath tub or apply some Neem oil to the bitten area of your skin. If Neem is hard to locate, then the intake of Morphene Neem veg capsule is also a good substitute.
- Crush fresh basil and plantain leaves and apply to the bitten area.
- Some essential oils for itch relief are: lavender, tea tree oil, cedar oil and witch hazel (astringent). Use them only for external application.
Points to note
- If the above mentioned remedies do not provide instant relief, it simply means you should repeat two to three times.
- In cases of severe bed bug bite symptoms, you should visit a doctor and get treatment as soon as possible.
- Get rid of bed bug infestations as soon as possible, otherwise symptoms like itchy bumps will never stop.
It is a long list but all of these items can substitute each another, so you can use any of the above as per your needs and preference. Now that we are aware of “how to stop bed bug itching” and above all “how to get rid of bed bugs” , we are bed bug smart!