If you know how to prevent bed bugs while on vacation then there is a far less probability of getting bed bugs. When on vacation do enjoy yourself, but also be aware of the possibility of bed bugs hitching a ride in your luggage. They are very quick to get into your luggage and then travel in style to your home as unwanted guests.
Bed bugs are a common problem these days. People find them in hotel room. If not in hotel rooms and whenever luggage comes into contact with other travelers’ luggage, so be cautious of this contact.
Here are some points on how to prevent bed bugs while on vacation:
- When checking in, check properly for bed bugs. Remove the bed sheets and inspect the seams and welts of the mattress. Look for live bed bugs, shed skin and black fecal stains.
- Even check in drawers, behind the pictures, wall hangings, headboards and along baseboards.
- Report this problem to hotel manager and ask for a new room.
- Take precautionary measures before booking your hotel. Look at reviews of those hotels where you intend to stay during your vacation. There are several web sites for this purpose:
- Avoid placing your luggage on the bed of your hotel room. Also, do not place them on furniture. This will prevent bed bugs from traveling or jumping from your bags to your comfortable bed.
Do not place your luggage on bed
- Always keep your suitcase in a vertical or standing position.
- If you become aware of bed bugs in hotel room after moving in, remember to completely empty your backpack, suitcases, camera bag, hand bags, etc, to keep your items completely free of bed bugs. You can detect them by checking all the pockets and seams. You can also find out whether you’ve spent time harboring bed bugs by looking for bed bug bites. Look for the symptoms and if you can confirm their presence then take action. Wash all your items in the hottest water possible to boil the little biters.
Check your luggage
- Any items which are difficult to treat effectively with heat or cleaning, just pack and seal them tightly in a plastic bag so that they can not infect other items. There can be miniscule eggs which are difficult to detect.
- Pack all your belongings in sealed storage bags and snaps. There are special bed bug proof encasements available in the market. Bring them and use them to protect your mattresses and box springs. These are useful both to suffocate bed bug and to prevent their entry.
Bed bug infestation on luggage
- Make use of bed bug control luggage spray to protect your luggage from bed bugs infestation. Spray it both inside and out of your luggage. Some examples of bed bug control luggage sprays are:
- JT Eaton
- After returning home, if you see any sign of bed bug infestation, try to eliminate it either by yourself or by calling a pest control professional immediately.
Now that, you are equipped with the knowledge of how to prevent bed bugs while on vacation, do not give them even a single chance to spoil your enjoyable vacation.