Bed bugs have the full potential to spoil all your excitement of moving into a new apartment. It’s better to be aware of how to prevent bed bugs in your new apartment rather than converting your new home into hell. Any place with 48 degree centigrade of temperature can be invaded by bed bugs. There is hardly any place left in this world which has not been seized by these tiny monsters.
• Become aware of what do bed bugs look like and where do they come from. These two information are utmost important to identify bed bugs. Proper identification helps you in getting proper treatment to get rid of them or prevent them. There are many similarities in bed bugs and other insects. For example, like bed bugs, there are several other insects which are found near bed. First confirm the pest then only call exterminators.
• You should be aware of the factors which attracts bed bugs the most that is how bed bug get into your apartment. Some are like on luggage, electronics like computer, and other belongings which might have got infested while you were on your holidays. They can also catch a ride on your bags when you visit your neighbor or other place where there is a bed bug infestation. Bats and birds can also introduce bed bugs in your new apartment.
• You should also be aware of the places of apartment which are common to get infested by bed bugs. Such places are cracks, crevices, furniture, heated and moist area, wire /pipe holes, and voids between the walls makes easier for bed bugs to move apartment to apartment. These are the bed bug prone area so always be concern and do some extra effort for the hygiene of these areas.
How to prevent bed bugs in your new apartment
• Whenever you return from a trip do not forget to look for the bed bugs before unpacking the luggage. Similarly whenever you enter hotel’s room check for the bed bugs in that room before unpacking. Leave the room immediately if you see any clue of bed bugs.
• Vacuum off all the bed bugs if you notice any in your luggage or other item.
• Make use of only white bed sheet so that you can sniff bed bug as soon as it infests your room or new apartment.
• Coordination among neighbor is very important as there are only 7 percent chances that bed bugs can move through walls to apartments below and above the infested apartment. A well coordinated neighborhood always work together to get rid of the bed bugs. One should never fight for the payment of exterminator. Participate in bed bug elimination drive and eliminate bed bugs before moving to that new environment.
• Say ‘no’ to second hand furniture. Used furniture such as mattresses and bed frames are one of the main vectors of bed bugs to new apartment. Avoid rental furniture as well. New furniture if transported with the old one can be the source of bed bugs in new apartment.
• Ban clutter! Clutter is one of the best places to inhabit by bed bugs. Bed bugs can very efficiently hide into the clutter and it becomes difficult for the chemicals to kill bed bugs and their eggs.
• Check for the spots left by bed bugs on your furniture and mattress at least after every two weeks.
• Be concerned and careful whenever enter into any of your neighbor place so that bed bug can not get along with you. Do not keep your against wall and on bed. Change your clothes whenever you return from outside to your home and give it for laundry. Make use of Ziploc double zipper big bag to place your dirty or infested clothes. You can also keep these infested clothes into a plastic container with a tight lid. Do not forget to give all such special treatment to your shoes. Like wise check everything which you takes along with you when goes out for vaccation.
Ziploc double zipper
• PackTite heater is also one of the best products to treat your infested items. You can get it just for $ 250.
• Before moving into your new apartment, look for cracks and crevices and if you find, seal them. Make use of bed bug dust product to seal these cracks and crevices present in wall of your new apartment.
• Do not forget to add bed bug dust to the inside of the wall when completing new construction. This acts as an extra layer of protection.
How to prevent bed bugs in your new apartment? Above mentioned suggestions are effective enough to do this not-so-easy task. Prevent them before they take your place in your new apartment!