Some of the most frequently asked questions about bed bugs are: How do I kill bed bugs? How to kill bed bugs in carpet? How to get rid of bed bugs? Trust me there is no need to kill any living creature if you can prevent them in the early stage of infestation. Do not let your house harbor these notorious pests.
Like saplings, bed bugs grow at a faster rate when you nurse them. Dirt, mess, clumsiness, etc. These are some of the factors which are major requirements of bed bugs to survive. So, always remember to clean your carpet to prevent bed bug infestation.
Carpet cleaning methods
- The entrance mat is a highly recommended product for keeping your carpets clean. Wipe your feet on the entrance mat every time you enter your house.
- Routine use of a vacuum cleaner also helps keep your carpet spick and span.
- Use borax powder and lemon juice to clean your carpet.
Bed bug infestation under the carpet
Bed bug infestation on top of the carpet
Methods used by professionals
Some quick research on internet is enough to locate the carpet cleaners in your city. Trying these methods without appropriate skills can lead to problems like over soaking.
- Dry cleaning- The use of dry cleaning solution or powder.
- Hot water extraction
The above mentioned tips and techniques must be followed to prevent bed bug infestation. Those who are already trapped by bed bug infestation must go with these suggestions.
How to Kill Bed Bugs in Carpet
- The treatment of other household items is as important as cleaning your carpet. The first step is to treat all items with repellent or sprays. Wash them (washable items) with boiling water, borax powder, etc. The steps involved in fumigation, heating, vacuum, etc. must be followed before the treatment of carpets. After treatment, bed bugs will remain on your carpet either alive or dead.
- Now thoroughly vacuum the carpet. Target the edges, baseboards and near the walls along with the entire surface of the carpet. Make use of the attachments to get to the strips of the carpet along the wall.
- Spray in the crease between the carpet and the baseboards.
- Make use of trap rite, a bed bug product.
- Empty the vacuum bag into a plastic bag to avoid scattering the bed bugs. Do not forget to seal the bag before discarding it in a trash can.
- Cover the perimeter of the carpet with carpet tape. It is effective enough to trap most of the bugs. Different varieties of carpet tapes are available on the market. Bed bugs stick to it. Lay out a white sheet and then tape down the perimeter of your carpet. The white sheet increases the visibility of these tiny creatures. When ever you find a bed bug, kill it immediately. Tape not only entraps them but also prevents them from moving beyond the carpet. This way, you keep bed bugs away from other parts of the room.
Placing carpet tape between floor and carpet
Placing a white sheet with tape on perimeter
- Steam cleaning is another effective method of killing bed bugs in a carpet. Always target the perimeter of the carpet as this harbors most of the bed bugs.
- Non-toxic bed bug repellent or sprays are preferable.
- In cases of extreme infestation, contact Pest Control Management. Pest control technicians use two techniques – fumigation and bombing, which are very effective in killing bed bugs.
- In the bombing technique, ‘bomb’ refers to a container with an airtight seal. When the seal is opened, pesticide is released into the atmosphere which kills all insects, including bed bugs.
According to some facts, the bombing technique is not as effective, as it is unable to reach cracks and crevices, which are the favorite spots of bed bugs.
- Fumigation has proved safe for humans provided it is performed in a controlled manner. It is highly effective as the particulates released are so fine that they can easily penetrate into cracks, crevices and wood.
The above mentioned suggestions on how to kill Bed bugs in carpet?” are more than enough to keep your house bed bug free. Keep clean, be clean, be alert and live a bed bug free life!