No, bed bugs never cause contagious diseases. Are Bed bugs contagious? This question focuses on the spread of bed bugs rather than on its symptoms and illness caused. However, bed bug infestation is highly contagious. They spread rapidly from one place to another. They can not fly as they are not endowed with wings, but can run quickly across the floor.
The places most prone to bed bug infestation are cracks, mattresses, bedding, crevices, etc. Bed bugs get attached to beds, clothing, furniture and luggage. Whenever a person travels to a bed bugs endemic place, he can easily discover an outbreak of bed bugs . One should be extremely careful while traveling, especially to endemic areas. Things which act as vectors for bed bug infestation are: clothing, luggage and second hand furniture.
You may not notice when you pick these items up as they are too small and most of the time they remain in seams and pockets of luggage. They come out to feed on human and pet blood while they sleep.
It used to be a problem in the 1950s. There was a time when bed bugs were common only in some places like hotel and hospitals. Only the most prone areas used to become infested with bed bugs. Various reports have shown that there has been a massive increase in the bed bug population in the last few years. Now the situation is that there is hardly a place left which is not inhabited by these pests.
According to a survey by the University of Massachusetts, -68% of all bedbug infestation in endemic areas require more than 3 treatments whereas 26% require two treatments and in 6% of cases bed bugs can be eradicated by just one treatment.
Bedbug bites and symptoms can not be sufficient evidence of bed bug infestation, as 60% of victims do not react to bed bug bites until they have been exposed to bed bugs for a prolonged period of time. Regular cleaning and good housekeeping can limit infestation but it is not at all sufficient to get rid of bed bugs.
Your sweet home can be nested by bed bugs due to these factors:
- Globalization is on the rise, so if useful items can be exchanged then why not these creatures?
- If a guest stays in an infested room he can take back these pesky pests as a parting gift.
- Take care of your luggage while on tour or a vacation. Do not store it in an infected room.
- Luggage should not come into contact with infected luggage.
- Many regions are not subject to the use of residual insecticide.
- Furniture is most prone to bed bugs infestation, especially second hand furniture.
- Infected clothing or bedding can bring bed bugs to your home.
- As previously mentioned, 60% victims do not react to bed bug bites.
- Central heating and climate control.
In the 1930’s, the spread of bed bugs came to a halt and only 25% of all homes were infested. A few years back Sydney hit the headlines, as almost every hotel was infested and that just before the commencement of the Olympic Games.
These places where you spend long periods of time are more prone to bed bug infestation
- Living Room
- Motor Vehicles
Are bed bugs Contagious? Yes, they are. But you can easily prevent them.
- Avoid sharing personal items such as bedding, coats, clothes, towel or backpacks.
- Once you notice a bed bug infestation in your dwelling, call an exterminator.
- Clothes should be placed in places where they do not come in contact with unaffected clothing.
- Avoid second hand furniture such as beds and couches.
It has already been proven several times that there are no effective home cures to curb a high intensity of bed bug infestation, but selecting a less experienced professional can increase the problem. Therefore, call a well reputed exterminator to get rid of this problem.
Early detection is the key to rapid eradication. “Are bed bugs contagious?” should be substituted with “Are the bed bug symptoms contagious?”